Monday, December 3, 2012

Expedition week!

One of main strategies of learning at Doulos is Expeditionary Learning.  With that in mind, it is finally Expedition week!  Expedition night is on Thursday and that is culmination of what many of our classes have been working towards for a couple months.  There are many different things that go into an Expedition, but part of it is having the students create a product that shows what they have learned and to also have them present that product to a valid audience.  For my junior class we have been working on a video that shows what they have learned regarding culture and cultural conflicts.  Besides the video some of the students are also working on an art project to compliment the video and show some of their personal reflections on culture or express themselves in the culture they live.  Hopefully I can upload the video and have some photos of the art for my blog next week.  All in all this will hopefully be a fun week and something that the students can look back on with pride.

Outside of my school life things have been more or less normal.  Last week I took on the adventure of going to the dentist here and I followed it up by going back for round two; which was them drilling and filling 3 cavities.  If you go to my dentist, forget about numbing the pain.  
This weekend somehow became a weekend of performances, with Friday night being the semi-finals of Festival De La Voz and Saturday night being a Doulos talent show.  Both very fun and a good chance for us to support our students in what they love.  
I also went for a run for the first time in a couple months and it was fun although my heart rate is so much higher than it was and now I very slow again.  Their are a few loops around my house that are a mixture of fun surfaces and places.  The one I did this weekend headed down my street onto a trail to the river and then back up to a big pretty road that is not used much but connects back with my street.  On the big road I was running and came across a smashed tarantula, I always knew they were here but that is the only one I have seen.  I also discovered rhino beetles which are huge, there was one at a friend house the other day so I let it crawl on my arm, it was weird. 

Pray for Expedition week!

No comments:

Post a Comment