Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Dos Semanas

It has now been two weeks here in Jarabacoa.  At this point I am rather firmly planted into life as I will know it for a while although school doesn't start until the 22nd which will change my routines a bit.  For know I am familiar enough with the city and culture to get around rather easily and I can even halfway function without having a very large Spanish vocabulary.  Everything is generally close and most Doulos staff live close to the school also.
My home stay location has been good so far.  I live about a mile and a half from school but it seems a lot farther when everyone else can walk to the school in under 5 minutes. My hosts name is Mariluz and she works for YWAM, which is JOCUM here.  There is an Australian guy staying at the house as well, and it is nice to have someone to speak English with, although it is probably stunting my Spanish growth.
As for the fun times to be had... I have already bagged the peak of the highest local mountain (Megote, somewhere near 5,000 feet) a couple times as the trailhead is conveniently located about 100 yards from the DR's YoungLife camp. This weekend I went into Santiago for a viewing of The Dark Knight Rises and have been able to spend lots of time getting to know new friends.  Many goods times to come I am sure.
I haven't been able to take as many pictures as I would like, but I will get on it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment